Main Menu Card sorting Exercise
The purpose of this exercise is to agree on the new main menu structure for the website.
The current menu (shown below) is largely based on the menu on the current http://aspe.hhs.gov website and does not reflect the vision for the future of the website.
In the beginning of the exercise you will be asked to enter your name. Please enter your full name and click the “Let’s get started>” button (you need to click that button, not just press Enter). We need to know your name in order to clarify any questions or comments with you.
After pressing the button, you will be directed to the card sorting page. The interface of this page consists of (1) the “Groups” panel, which occupies the larger part of the screen, and (2) the “Deck” panel, which occupies the left side of the page (see below).
The Groups correspond to the main menu, top-level navigation bar items. Please start with this part of the card sorting interface and perform the following:
- Delete any groups you do not like by pressing the “X” button in the top-right corner of the group.
- You may create new groups by pressing the “+ Create a new group” button in the top-right corner of the window.
- For any Groups that you feel should have an altered name, click on its header and edit the name.
- Please limit the number of Group items to 7. According to the user experience research, usability is optimized with fewer than 7 menu items
On the left side of the page you will see a list of different sections of the website. Thinking about prioritization, if you believe that a certain section should be displayed as a submenu of a main menu item, please drag that item from the deck and drop it into the group section that you believe it should belong to. The picture below shows example of how the main menu item “Interactive Data” will look like if it will have the following submenu items:
- Evaluation: Performance Improvement 2013-2014
- Health Insurance Marketplace (.pdf)
- Search Report
(The submenu items below are shown only for example)
For instance, if your preference is for “History” to be a submenu item of “About” please do the following:
- Bring your mouse cursor over “History” deck element
- Press the left mouse button and hold it
- Move the mouse cursor over the “About” Group
- Release the mouse button
- You will see that the card is placed in the group
Additional Instructions and Hints:
- You do not have to sort all the cards. Only sort the cards that you think should be in the main menu. Keep the cards you don’t want to see in the main menu in the “Deck”.
- If you accidentally dropped the card into a wrong group, you can always move it to a different group exactly like you would move it from the Deck.
- To keep the card set consistent we do not allow editing the card labels. If you want to propose a new menu items and it is not in the Deck please place the “Other” card into the group. We will contact you and discuss your ideas about the new menu items.
- Once you’re done sorting the cards you want to see in the main menu please press the “Finish Sorting” button in the bottom-right corner. We won’t be able to capture your results until you press this button. Please do not reload the page or press the “Back” button in your browser until you are done with the exercise and press the “Finish Sorting” button. If you do this your card sorting progress will be lost.
- Please do not hesitate to contact us if you have any questions by email email@example.com
- If you are interested in learning more about card sorting and science behind it you can find some interesting information here:
Now you are ready to proceed with the actual exercise. Thank you for your time, we value your input very much.